Friday 31 July 2009

Shaken not stirred

Feeling a little overwhelmed by the last week. The SKWID (Skills for Working in Development) training was challenging on a number of levels, particularly since I have never travelled anywhere in the developing world. Masses of personal learning to be had and great opportunities to learn from each other and reflect on other people's styles and approaches. Lots of tips about how to get people involved and fully participating in the process of change. I have also had my first motorbike lesson. Initially I took to it rather well and was even beginning to enjoy myself. Then we went out onto real roads and I found I couldn't cope with gear changes and junction manoevres at the same time. A bit unnerving to keep finding you have changed into neutral instead of second gear and have no oomph in your bike. I kept grinding to a horrible stand still in the middle of the road. Still, I have three more days training to get it right and I know I will have a real sense of achievement when I master it. I have now had my placement in Ghana officially confirmed. Only took 7 weeks. A little taster of how fast wheels turn over there I suspect.

6 comments:

  1. Do please warn us before venturing out on a motor-bike in Loughton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte. I'm getting a bit wary of this word 'challenging' - maybe it's a 'perjorative' after all? (I'm on SKWID this weekend) Fully sympathise with you about operating motorbike gears - hope you weren't also chewing gum? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very excited to see your blog. I will be an avid follower. You have always been in my "Favourites"
    Sarah X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlotte and Mike. So pleased to see how well you have settled into your new life. It all looks so exciting! The weather has turned very autumnal here and I won't be running around in the rain here this morning! Hope the motorbiking is going well! Love reading your blogs - keep it coming. Love Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte, so pleased to read everything is going well, makes working with the three year olds seem quite mundane. Can't wait to hear about the motor bike experience. Have you 'touched base' with your colleagues yet? We still use this in planning so you are not forgotten. Still havent been to the digging area yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charlotte - missed you at our get together but enjoyed reading your long email. Weather is warm here for October! Your meeting with the chief looked amazing. Just seen your picture on the Loughton Residents website - you will not be forgotten!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete