Saturday 27 March 2010

OVERSEAS 1 - "Voluntary Service - Overseas at last"

I have just got back from a fascinating and eye opening trip to a remote area of West Mamprusi District called "Overseas.” It is so named because it is cut off during the rainy season (May to September) due to the numerous rivers crossing the land. There have recently been a couple of bridges constructed, but it is basically a very isolated area and teachers do not want to go there because life is hard.

I have blogged 13 (mostly short) entries about the trip - you may have to use the 'Older posts' link bottom right to see them all.

Many children had never seen a white person before and I caused a real stir everywhere we stopped. I began to perfect my royal wave.

Our trip lasted a whole week and was a joint venture between WorldVision and the Ghana Education Service. Our mission was to educate the School Management Committees (Governors) and Parent Teacher Associations as to their roles and responsibilities. Radically, I suggested we include some group work and each afternoon we split the attendees into school groups and got them to make a draft SPIP - School Performance Improvement Plan. This was a huge step forward as most of the committees had just been formed for the purpose of attending the training and had absolutely no idea what they were there for.

Group work.
Here I am trying to be helpful. There was always at least one english speaker in each group and he then translated for the rest.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see all the posts about your trip to Overseas. I thought the name was incidental... I hadn't realised that the place really is cut off by water (sometimes).

    Sounds like it was even more of an eye-opener than Walewale has been? And that one of the key challenges is society's attitude to girls and women. If so, perhaps there was a powerful impact from you just being there in a position of some authority/respect. Or does that message fail to get through because you're white, and therefore viewed too differently to challenge those attitudes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading all these updates. On my trip to Senegal the knowledge, commitment and expertise of World Vision staff stood out for me as well.

    Not an easy task, providing assistance and traing to remote communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Tom's question about attitudes to women. Yes, there is much to be done, particularly in the North of Ghana. I think Ghanaian women in positions of power and authority are better role models as I am just too much of an oddity anyway! However, I am sure my role and on occasion my forthrightness have given some men something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlotte, have enjoyed catching up on your news - thanks for keeping us all posted. Thinking of you lots, love The Shrimps

    ReplyDelete